Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tuesday List: My Netflix Queue

Netflix is the best $7.99 I spend each month. I watch it so much that I seriously contemplated getting rid of my cable (but decided that as long as I live in this god-awful city, I should probably keep it). Here are the shows I love:

Orange is the New Black


I finished this show in about a week. I actually miss those girls. I cannot wait until season 2. Check out this NPR interview with creator/writer/producer Jenji Kohan, titled "Piper was my Trojan Horse."

Their Facebook page is pretty awesome too.











House of Cards
Another Netflix original series produced by Kevin Spacey. This show is about the dirty politics that happen in on Capitol Hill. I finished it in 3 weeks. The writing is incredible in this series and the cast delivers it effortlessly. I felt like I was back in DC. Note to self: find that hole in the wall rib shack during my next visit. The main character, played by Kevin Spacey, is from South Carolina and went to the Citadel (or The Sentinel as they portray it in the show).




Mad Men

I finished all five seasons in roughly a month. I am making myself finish another show before I purchase season 6, which is not yet available on Netflix. Oh, Don Draper, you are a great man, but a terrible husband.





How I Met Your Mother

I watched a few episodes of this show in the nail salon, of all places. The nail tech loved the show and literally stopped doing my nails to laugh at Barney's antics. He recommended that I watch it from the beginning, so I did. I really like Lilly, Marshall, Ted and even Barney. I've finished 2 of 7 seasons so far.








Breaking Bad
This show gets so much hype on twitter that I had to add it to my queue.  I didn't love it right away like the other shows on this list, but it is growing on me. I am half way through season 2 and I am interested to know whats going to happen with the science teacher and his screwball protege.






And I am watching these shows again, from the beginning ...

Law & Order
I have been a fan of Law & Order for years, but I really only started watching it in the early 2000s. This show started in 1990. The first (and best) spin-off, Law & Order: SVU actually started on my birthday 8 years later. Its interesting to see how graphics have changed in the last 20-something years as well as get a glimpse into what was going on culturally, at the time. Like in episode 3 where a man is helping men with AIDS kill themselves before they wither away and before their families find out that they are gay. In 1990, we had no idea about HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, and we didn't have a full grasp on the spread of the disease. My how far we've come.






In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime; and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.


CSI: Miami
I miss this show, but I understand why it didn't last. The writing was obvious and over-the-top. And why can't Horatio Caine ever square his shoulders toward the person he is talking to? He's always standing to the side and looking slightly over one shoulder with sun glasses in hand.
"There's a shoot out in the ER."

Numb3rs



I love the relationships among the two brothers and their dad in this show. And I can totally geek out on the data.










What's in your Neflix queue? What shows do you love right now?

-Run








2 comments:

  1. I finished House of Cards in two days. I'm gonna take the unpopular stance here and say House of Cards>Scandal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. If I had to choose between Scandal and House of Cards, I would easily choose House of Cards. I ran 9 miles at the gym watching House of Cards on the treadmill. I think Scandal is more popular and appealing due to its immensely social following.

      Delete