Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Obey the rules of the road

It was a beautiful day today. The weather was 75 degrees, sunny and no palpable humidity. There is no better day than this to get out for a run. So I did. The original plan was to run this morning, but that didn't work out so well when my alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. I kind of knew this would happen when I was still wide awake at 11:30. Anywho ...

As the temperatures drop and we slowly say goodbye to summer, there are more and more runners and walkers out on the trails. You know its fall when ... there are 5 times more people out on your regular trail. I am always happy to see people getting outside in an effort to be healthier. I applaud you all. I am not one of those gym rats who complains at the start of every new year because the gym is full with the resolution-ers. I root for all of them and hope that by February and March, I still see most of them sticking to their fitness goals. Back to today ...

Although, I am happy to see the increased number of people out on the trails, it is inevitable that the newbies will disobey the rules of the road. I nearly ran into 5 people today who would not obey the rules of the road; specifically, the cardinal rule: Run/Walk/Bike/Roller blade/etc. in the same manner and on the same side of the road as you would in a car. I played chicken with 5 people (they all lost) who refused to get on their side. Move it people or I will Terry Tate you!

"If you kill the Joe, you make some mo!"
Other rules of the road:
  • No smoking. I understand that you want to enjoy the great outdoors and perhaps get a little exercise, but it is counterintuitive to do so while smoking. Also, you are spewing your filth to those of us who are already breathing heavily, increasing our inhilation. If you are smoking over a baby stroller or with kids near by, see also Terry Tate.
  • No walking more than two abreast. The two of you should be no more than a shoulder's width a part. Don't take up the entire trail with your leisurely stroll. I want to appreciate your efforts, but it is hard to care on mile 10+ when I have to run harder (and into oncoming trail traffic) to go around you.
  • Always look before you snot rocket. If even a hint of snot lands on me, I'm sending Terry Tate to kick you in the shins.
  • No playing music on an external speaker. Seriously? Look Radio Raheem, I should not be able to hear your music over my ear buds. Do us all a favor and buy headphones.
  • Be nice. If a fellow runner/walker/passerby says hello or waves good morning, don't be a Scrooge. Return the sentiment. The world will be a better place for it.

So what are your rules of the road? Any of these get on your nerves?


-Run


PS. I ran 5.6 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment