Wednesday, July 3, 2013

MCM Training Day 3

I crafted a grand marathon training plan and am realizing already (barely 3 days in) that I need to make some adjustments. Work is very very busy right now (I actually don't know of a time when it is not) and running after a long hard work day isn't my favorite way to wind down. Yesterday, the plan was to run 5 miles but after working 12 hours, the thought of those five miles made me weary. Knowing that I shouldn't put additional stress on my body, I decided to have a great dinner, go to bed early and pick up where I left off in the morning.  That worked out well. I got up at 4:30 this morning to make it to the gym by 5 ... I was two seconds away from not running at all when I realized I didn't have my phone and thus the means to track my run. Why are we so reliant on technology? I was already at the gym at 5 am no less, feet on the treadmill and I nearly called it quits. Luckily, I had an extra nike+ shoe pod in my gym bag and was able to carry on. Whew!

Where was I? Yeah ... (shot out to BIG). Back to the plan. The basics of my training plan are:
Mondays: An easy 3 - 5 miles + strength training
Tuesdays: An easy 5 - 8 miles
Wednesdays: Another easy 3 - 5 miles + strength training or speed/hill work
Thursdays: Rest
Fridays: An easy 5 - 8 miles with a tempo run at race pace every other week
Saturdays: Long run starting at 9 miles upward to two 20 milers (dear God)
Sundays: Cross training (which will likely be the 8 am yoga class at LA Fitness).



So, I made an adjustment to the plan and am glad that I did. Tomorrow is Independence Day (I personally abhor people calling it 4th of July, I mean thats the date, not the holiday but I digress ...) which would have been my day off, but I wanted to run anyway so that I can receive the Uncle Sam badge on Nike+ I am one mile away from logging 2,000 miles on Nike+ so I definitely take my tracking seriously.




Even though I am ready for this and I am ready to train well (hard & smart). I can see that it is going to take a lot of adjustments. My ultimate goal is to be more consistent in my training. If I do that, I know that I will  reach my secondary goal of completing the Marine Corps Marathon under 04:30:00.

-Run


2 comments:

  1. Reliance on technology to log runs is a big thing with me too! Thank you for sharing your marathon training schedule! Happy running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was two seconds from going home. Two. For shame... I am glad that I didn't. What do you use to track your workouts?

      Delete