Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Full Mary

It's been a long time, I shouldn't have left you ...

In a previous post, I committed to running my first full marathon in 2012. I am honoring that commitment and signing up for the San Antonio Rock & Roll Marathon on November 11.

I put together my training program (thanks to our dear friend  Hal Higdon). I decided on an 18 week Novice 2 program that includes a 22 mile run. Most training progams stop at 20 miles and I don't understand why. 6.2 miles, after running 20, is a lot of miles to will your way through. I will feel more confident having at least experienced 20+  miles. I start my training the first week of July and am so very nervous about it. I am confident that I will finish the race and train without injury, but something about beginning this process makes me so nervous, excitingly so.

Until my training begins, I will keep up my base mileage and improve my functional fitness. I noticed a few months ago that my left leg felt more dominant during runs, especially on the treadmill. I started doing more body weight exercise, single leg and balance exercises to help. Marathon training is serious, so I want to make sure that my body is ready to handle the increase in mileage.

Oh man, here it goes ...

No comments:

Post a Comment