Saturday, March 3, 2012

Streaking

I started a new running streak. I previously participated in the Runner's World 2011 Holiday Run Streak. The goal was to run at least one mile every day from Thanksgiving Day to New Year's Day - 39 days of consecutive running.

I learned a lot about myself during this run streak. I ran in environments and at times I never thought I would:

·         I ran at 6 a.m.
·         I ran at 4 a.m.
·         I ran at 1 a.m. after hanging out in Atlanta (and two drinks).
·         I barely got by, beginning a run at 11:50 a.m.
·         I ran in 19 degrees.
·         I ran in rain, hail, sleet AND snow.
·         I ran in Indiana, Texas, Georgia, California, Ohio and Colorado.

The most important thing I experienced during this streak was the support of my family, friends and colleagues. I assumed everyone would think that was the crazy runner doing something they could never comprehend and actually discourage my running. To the contrary, and much to my surprise, they were very supportive of my endeavors. Everyone encouraged me to keep the streak going, no matter the obstacles (or the weather). They helped me define time amidst my busy schedule and were flexible with me in making plans, always asking “when are you going to run?”

In light of that positive experience, I decided to do another streak. The goal of this new running streak is to run everyday (at least one mile of course) from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday. If I can do 39 days over the holidays, surely I can run 40 Days for Lent (48 to be exact). I am now 11 days into the streak (technically, 10 because I have yet to run on day 11 – I’ll handle that this afternoon) and am having a similar positive experience. So far the weather has been amazing and I haven’t had to run in too many crazy conditions. Yesterday, however, I ran in 27 mph winds amidst a tornado warning. For a good quarter mile stretch I felt like I was running in place. I do not advise this. Hopefully, this will be the only inclement weather run to report as spring rolls around the corner.

I am looking forward to learning more about myself and the sport of running during this streak. I will be sure to keep you posted. Until then, I wanted to share a quote/photo about running that I absolutely love:

-Run

No comments:

Post a Comment